Thursday, January 26, 2006

Celgene

Don't you hate those blogs where people spout obscure stock market abbreviations and give "disinterested" stock tips? I'm not going to do that, but apropos of today's earnings announcement from biotech company Celgene,

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060126/earns_celgene.html?.v=1

I wanted to "share" that this stock has given me a happy ride this past year. The chart (which is resisting all my efforts at uploading it...but I'll keep trying) doesn't even tell the whole story, because I bought it in Euro, and during the year, the $ appreciated a good deal against our European currency.

While I'm usually a conservative buy-and-hold type who sticks to blue chips, for some reason I worked up the courage to buy a few of those roller-coaster shares... and although daily up- and downswings have not been for the faint of heart (= me), on balance it's been up, up, up.

Now for the most wrenching decision for any investor... hold on to a winner or cash in? The Dollar/Euro relation seems to be going in the opposite direction so far this year... but Celgene has great drugs in the pipeline (For someone who remembers the thalidomide tragedy of the 60s, it's unbelievable to see that basically the same compound is successful as a leprosy and, presumably, anti-cancer drug). So, I guess I'll stick with it for now. But at these levels, I'm not suggesting it for anyone.

2 comments:

Monsta said...

oh, you invest in stocks i see. i'm 22 and am trying to learn the ins and outs of stock investments.

how young did you start and overall, has it been a profitable investment?

kaicito said...

thanks for the comment! (at least now i know someone out there reads my stuff).
i started out after my parents died and i was in my early 30s...they left me a little $$ and i've been trying to preserve it and add to it, mostly (but by no means always) successfully. but on balance, it's been profitable.

when i started out, reading books by people such as peter lynch helped a lot. plus it helps if you know your way around some company or industry.