Friday, May 19, 2006

Apropos of the rainy weather

Biking through the pouring rain yesterday, it helped that a bouncy little song was playing and re-playing in my head... no, it wasn't the all-too-obvious "Singin' In The Rain", though that is of course a beautiful standard. (And I do have a Judy Garland, up-tempo version of it somewhere, which I really need to listen to again sometime)

It was a song from the Disney live-action classic, "In Search of the Castaways", from 1962, which also happens to be the year of my birth. The Jules Verne-based film had an eclectic cast including George Sanders, the bubbly Hayley Mills and... Maurice Chevalier.

Chevalier and Mills together sang the song I'm referring to, a buoyant little number by Walt Disney's all-purpose songwriters, the Sherman brothers.

I'm quoting from memory here:


Why cry about bad weather? Enjoy it!
Each moment is a treasure, enjoy it!
We're travelers on life's highway, enjoy the trip!
Each lovely twist and byway, each bump and dip!

When there's a complication, enjoy it -
you've got imagination, employ it!
A hurrican comes your way? Enjoy the breeze!
You're stranded in the jungle? Enjoy the trees!

(there's more, about seeing roses in the snow, and "joie de vivre" making them grow,
but I always sing that first part ;)

And you know what? It worked - I really enjoyed getting wet all the way to my unmentionables :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was born in 1952 and I saw this film at first run showing. I remember well this scene. It's pleasant and impressing. But as I remembered the song only partly. Thank you for your memeroy.