Friday, February 17, 2006

Hunting with Dick Cheney

Oh, OK, this is not really about hunting with Dick Cheney. But the recent hunting accident involving Vice President Cheney made me think again about what kind of a "sport" hunting really is. Why do grown men (and they are almost exclusively men, I believe) find fascination in aiming a shotgun at some peacefully browsing unsuspecting animal ? Why would anybody?

Where is the sport in that - does the animal have any chance at all ? I strongly believe that animals are God's creations, with feelings not wholly unlike our own, and the desire to live their lives peacefully. What joy can there be in savagely terminating such a life? I wish we would put those remnants of our prehistoric hunter forebears behind us. Isn't it bad enough that we mistreat our domesticated animals by the way we raise, then slaughter them?

As for Cheney, I have never liked him and I like him even less now that I know he's a hunter...and an inept one at that (although as long as he shoots other hunters, the animals can breathe a little easier)

4 comments:

Jenny said...

The last couple of lines made me smirk.

kaicito said...

then my work is done.

Rie said...

Vice President Richard B. Cheney??
I watched him on television.
mmmm....but I did not know that he was a vice president:P
I studied him on some web page.
I dont like him....

kaicito said...

that's ok, i don't like him either.